Saturday, November 8, 2008

Lisa's Story

Click on Lisa's Story above to view a video of a husband's plea for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome awareness. People are just recently hearing more about Fibromyalgia but it is not yet understood. Certain doctors will ignore giving this diagnosis because they think it is a mental condition, which it is not. Fibromyalgia is real and it's time for people to start learning about it. There are so many undiagnosed people that are completely frustrated because they don't know what they have or their doctor will not acknowledge it. The average patient has to go through between 4-7 different doctors before actually getting an accurate diagnosis. I am fortunate to have a good doctor now who understands and works with me to help me be as comfortable as I possibly can with my pain. Four years ago I left my doctor of 15 years after he told me it was all in my head. I literally ran out of his office crying. I vowed never to go back to him again and he knew why. Just because he couldn't figure it out and my test results said I was fine. He sent me to a Rheumatologist who diagnosed me with FMS. Even after he recieved this diagnosis, he failed to acknowlege this because he was an "old school" doctor and FMS has just recently become an actual listed diagnosis by the AMA.
This is part of why I am doing this blog, not for sympathy, but for awareness. Especially if you know someone with FMS. Just because you don't look sick doesn't mean you don't feel like total crap.

No comments: